At LazerDesigns, we believe in stewarding our resources for the good of our people, our community and our world. What can a small business do to make a difference and have a positive impact? How can your company be "green" and create sustainability? Here's a few real-world examples from LazerDesigns.
1. Redeem Boxes - Now THAT'S recycling, reusing what you canAt LazerDesigns, we see over 25,000 boxes come in and out our doors as we fulfill orders. That's a lot of boxes! Through our Redeemed Boxes program, we re-tape, relabel, and reuse shipping boxes that are still structurally sound. This is real recycling - no energy spent to break it down, clean it, and recreate it. This also saves us and our customers thousands of dollars a year! This is savings we pass on through our competitive prices. Of course, what we cannot reuse, we recycle.
2. Install LED LightingWhile LED lighting is still expensive (though prices are coming down), rebates from energy companies are encouraging businesses to bring down the energy consumption. Why are LED lights greener?
- Lower power consumption
- Create less heat, lowering your AC bill
- No toxic mercury (though they do contain nickle, lead, arsenic)
- More than 95% of LED lighting is recyclable
- We needed to retrofit our lighting from an old, outdated bulb type, so we had to upgrade to a newer, more energy efficient lighting type
- Retrofitting to newer T8 and T5 was expensive, but so is LED
- When comparing retrofitting with LED lighting, LED lighting was actually lower cost than T8 or T5
- Add in the lower energy cost of LED lighting+ energy rebate, and the winner is LED